Welcome to my little corner of the World...

Join me as I try to find my way as an empty-nester, wife, mom, friend, and most importantly as a Child of God.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

So Long, Insecurity...

I am facilitating a women's Bible study this summer on Beth Moore's book So Long, Insecurity.  I got the book several years ago when I was preparing to go to her Simulcast on the same book.  I have picked it up, but was always working on other studies and didn't fully read the book.  I saw on the Living Proof Ministries Blog that she had written a study guide to go with the book and asked a dear friend if she wanted to do it as a study with me.  Well, this grew into a small group study because there were several others that were laid upon our hearts and we opened it up to my friends on facebook and Tuesday morning Bible study group that had asked me to let them know if I did a summer study.  Great group of women and I can't wait to see how God will change our lives in the next few weeks, months and years!  I hope what we learn sticks!!  That is all I'm going to share about them because what is shared will remain confidential...that is of utmost importance!

I will share some things that have been on my heart or what I'm learning.
These are scriptures in last week's study that really spoke to my heart:

"But blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord,
   whose confidence is in him.
He will be like a tree planted by the water
   that sends out its roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes;
   its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought
   and never fails to bear fruit."
                       Jeremiah 17:7-8

I have many insecurities...don't we all?  I mean, really?!
They come from the father of lies...why do I listen to that voice in my head?
Some are little, some are big...but all of them eat away at my confidence.

Where do I go?  What do I do to keep them at bay?
Are you ready for the Sunday school answer....God, Jesus...
Okay, I'm sure we know that, but how do we practically do it?


I have a living (I hope so anyway..not sure at the moment if it's living or not) example of this Jeremiah scripture.  We planted 3 trees the day after Memorial Day.

It's been extremely windy and pretty hot since we have planted them.  We watered several times a day for the first week or more, then once a day after that...except for one time it went from a Friday night watering to a Sunday watering.  Within the next few days....the leaves of one tree started to die.  We've watered everyday since then...and still more dying leaves.
Is that how it is with me?  When I am not spending time with God daily, do I die off ie. begin to believe the father of lies more easily?  Do I continue to be dry for days later...even though I have been in the Word that day?  I think yes, once those doubts come in...they stick around for awhile.  I need to stay by the stream...God's Word!  Our tree is not by a stream, therefore we have to be intentional to make sure it's watered.  My roots won't be by the stream fully until I reach heaven...until then, I have to give them constant attention....the roots of my head (haha!) and the roots of my heart!  Speaking of which...will we have perfect hair in heaven...I hear all about the perfect bodies, but what about the hair?  Talk about something that gives me insecurities!

As a father has compassion on his children,
   so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him;
for he knows how we are formed,
   he remembers that we are dust.
As for man, his days are like grass,
   he flourishes like a flower of the field;
the wind blows over it and it is gone,
   and its place remembers it no more.
But from everlasting to everlasting
   the Lord's love is with those who fear him,
   and his righteousness with their children's children-
with those who keep his covenant
   and remember to obey his precepts.
                         Psalm 103:13-18

Yet another example of scripture right in my own backyard...
Beautiful flowers that I planted around Mother's Day...
I took some awesome pictures of them...


The next day, we got hit with super hot and windy temperatures...
this is what they looked like.


Here one day gorgeous & beautiful...
gone the next & no one would remember if I didn't take a picture of them.
So many things in our lives will wither, fade and blow away just like the blooms of my flowers...
   jobs, friendships, stock market...
isn't it great to know that our God is constant...He will never fade away!
I think know that I have a deep desire to be loved and accepted.  Isn't it great to know that God knows us?  He knows how we are put together...he knows how we work!  Our insecurities don't surprise Him!    He has compassion on us!  He Loves us from everlasting to everlasting!  He knows us better than we know ourselves...and loves us anyway...always & forever!!!  gotta love that!

2 comments:

  1. I really love how scripture says that "He remembers that we are dust.." And even still He sent His Son to pay the price of our sin so that we can " sit by the stream" to be watered daily. I know I would not die for dust! Isn't our God GREAT! We don't have to do anything special for His love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that part of the scripture too! I think that is a hard concept for us to grasp...that we don't have to do anything for His Love! He is Greater than we can Imagine!

    ReplyDelete

I read & treasure each and every comment!
I'd love to hear from you!