This is my Dad, top row in the middle...Oldest son of 6 kids.
Today, He celebrates the 70th Anniversary of his 'Birth'day!!
(I know...it's enough to make a young boys eyes cross!)
I don't have any pictures from my childhood, so maybe that is why pictures are so important to me. So, in honor of Your Special Day, Dad...here are 70 pictures and 70 things that I appreciate and/or remember about you as my Dad...
(and no, they are not in chronological order...it's 1:30 in the morning...don't get picky)
#1. I remember you honoring your parents.
#2. Always treating others with respect.
#3. You always encourage your grandchildren in school.
#4. Special trips to California - One with Thelma to visit Craig & Tina;
one with Carol to celebrate a baptism.
#5. The way that you talked to the grandkids...I can't wait to see you with your Great-Grandchild!
#6. The way you want to hold onto those special moments.
#7. You never want to be in the spotlight, willing to blend in with the crowd.
#8. I LoVe that you like to be SiLLy!
Wonder how many pics we have with bunny ears?
#9. You are always willing to hold a baby and see if you can make them laugh.
#10. You are always willing to listen to what we have to say.
#11. You taught us to embrace technology.
You are always ready & willing to try the next great thing and conquer it.
#12. You teach us that family isn't always biological. You have taught us how
to step up and do the right thing, even when it means becoming a
'parent' again in your later years. I admire that in your character.
#13. I love that you LoVe our kids!
#14. You have taught us through your example of how to respect
authority and to honor those who serve us.
#15. You are never afraid to step up to a challenge.
#16. You taught us that even when it's not as easy as it used to be,
#17. to try, try & try again...
until you get that Slam Dunk!!
#18. And you taught us that sometimes you have to hold your tongue,
or kick your leg just right!
#19. I remember when Grandpa Goebel passed away, and you coming in to tell me.
I remember your sadness, but I also remember your strength.
#21. This is a rare sight...you sitting down. You taught us a good work ethic.
#22. You never cease to amaze me in what you will try next! Riding your bike from Moundridge to Manhattan...to getting a scooter to jet around town!
#23. You've given me a love for crafting, okay, so I don't do woodwork, but I love to make things with my hands. I will always treasure the special gifts that you have made with your hands for me....from the jewelry box where you hand-carved my name to this clock made to show your appreciation.
#24. I love that you are a lefty...and how the 'lefties' and the 'righties' gang up against one another.#25. You like to show up in the stands and show your support.
#26. You aren't afraid to get down and play with the grandkids.
#27. You were willing to come and sit through a game (even though it
wasn't your home team) to listen to your grandson play in the band.
#28. I appreciate how you took us to church as a child, until you & mom divorced. It gave me the foundation in the faith that I have today.#29. You may not know how much I respect that even though things were often tough with mom through the divorce, visitations, child support, etc...you NEVER, NoT once, said a bitter word against our mother.
#30. I love that you like to honor special moments with special gifts...pearls for my graduation from college, a crystal angel with the engraved tag to remember Thelma at Christmas, a tea set from Thelma's collection for Lauren for her wedding, this wooden family heirloom that you turned into a jewelry box for Lauren's graduation from college.
#31. The way that you hold your mouth just so, when you try not to cry,
but I love that I see the emotion in your eyes.
#32. You have not pushed us...you have let us live our lives
without butting in unless we ask for your advice.
Sometimes, it means that we make a mistake.
#33. The customer is always right.
#34. Did you know that I always had classmates and friends comment about how handsome you are? I always thought I had the best looking Dad around!#35. I'll never forget the first time that you held your grandkids.
#36. You taught us by example, that even though you have been hurt, you can find love again.
#37. You showed us what it
really means to live & love in sickness and in health.
#38. And to smile even though your heart is breaking.
#39. You also taught us to open our hearts, even when we may still be grieving and love someone new.
#40. It's the simple things, like appreciating a bird house made by your grandson.#41. Giving your grandson his first grill lesson.
#42. Love your different 'hair' styles through the years!! Long, short, curly perm, mustache, beard, clean shaven...didn't matter, you are always the most handsome Dad to me!
#43. You know when to let us fight it out...
you are the voice of reason when we need it the most.
#44. Your LoVe for the Game of BasKeTbAll!
#45. Driving to Manhattan to see Lauren on her 'birth'day!#46. The way you sacrificed (and worked several jobs) to make sure that we were fed and clothed...
#47. Your love of machinery...you passed it onto your Sons & Grandsons!
#48. That you taught your grandkids that 'tap juice' is water and
'purple peanut butter juice' is grape juice.
#49. The pride & joy that you have for your family.
#50. Special things you did with our kids...'smores at Grandma & Grandpa's @ sleepovers, special Halloween baskets, and (Don't read this kids!!) playing the
Easter Bunny leaving baskets on the front porch!
#51. We never had to worry when we left our kids in your care, we knew that you would love them like we did and wouldn't let them get away with too much. :)
#52. You disciplined us when we needed it, but you were always fair.
(Man, we are a motley looking crew...)
#53. We have the same interest in photography.
1/4 of a piece at a time!
#55. Weathering the parade of life...no matter how 'hot' or 'cold' it is!
#56. I love your laugh...especially when you are trying not to laugh at something
that may not be appropriate, but you just can't help yourself.
#58. That swear words consist of 'dadgumit', 'for crying out loud', 'for Pete's sake'...and there may have been one or two...'where in the sam hill?'.
#59. The pencil behind the ear when you are working on a project.
#60. You have always embraced all of your kids spouses.
#61. I LoVe my craft room and your willingness to
'sign' your name to it.
#62. I love that you designed it!
#63. You marvel at new life...
#64. You embrace each stage of life...
#65. You aren't afraid to let your grandkids rise above you...
although you encouraged them to put a brick on their heads a time or two...LOL!
#66. You are always willing to lend a hand...or a paintbrush, or a saw...
(and you like purple, well, the WildCats anyway!!)
#67. You are always there waiting in the wings to support us...#68. 'Have Grandpa...Will Ride' who can forget that?
#69. This is part of your legacy...
#70. You have LoVeD me through my worst days......and my BeSt days!
Thank you for everything Dad!!
I LoVe you with ALL of my HeArT!!!
HaPpY 70th BiRthDaY!!







































testing, testing...hello...is this thing on?
ReplyDeletedifferent setting...different test...how 'bout now...can you hear me now?
ReplyDeleteHow lovely. This is such a lovely tribute to what, I have come to learn, is a very great man.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the lovely comment Happygirl! He is a very great man! :)
ReplyDelete