Welcome to my little corner of the World...

Join me as I try to find my way as an empty-nester, wife, mom, friend, and most importantly as a Child of God.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Harvest...



If you ask my husband what the best gift he got for Father's Day was...I'm sure it was being able to help his uncle harvest on Father's Day!  Our son would agree, he would like to harvest everyday I'm sure!  Nothing puts a smile on a mans face quite like harvest does once you have been a farmer.  Farming gets in your blood...watching God's creation grow, harvesting something that you have planted and watched grow, the cool breezes from the young wheat in spring while it's green, the amber waves of grain in the bright summer sun...there is nothing like it.

My husband has been a farmer for as long as I've known him...which was our junior year in high school.  We lived on the family farm after we settled in Moundridge after college.  We farmed the family grounds.  Randy always worked a job and farmed for a 'hobby' as he liked to put it.  My husband worked side by side with his grandfather, dad & brothers.  After we sold our combine, his uncle came and custom cut for us.  Since we have gotten out of farming, Randy & Preston help out whenever Larry needs them...which they hope is often!  So, Larry made my boys' weekend when he called and asked for some harvest relief...Mother Nature put a damper on it cancelling Saturdays festivities due to rain on Friday night.  But, it's Kansas-in June-which means...  hot + windy = harvesting on Sunday!  

Here is a photo essay of our day...Enjoy & maybe learn a little about harvest along the way!

Preston getting a lesson from his Great-Aunt Edie on a new tractor

 If you were in the bed of the grain truck, this is what you would see overhead.
 Preston got right to work and unloaded the grain cart into the truck to be hauled to Co-op.

 David is checking out the wheat
 Kim giving directions to David about his responsibilities as a farmer for the day
 You can't see them, but inside the combine, Larry is giving Randy his directions.  Cutting wheat in Lindsborg is different than cutting wheat in Moundridge.  All our fields were flat.  Rolling hills in Lindsborg lead to terraces in the fields.  You have to cut the fields in certain patterns.
 Larry & his shadow... :)
 David is going to ride to town with Larry and Edie is giving
 specific instructions to David.
#1.  Make sure the tarp is rolled back.  
#2.  Make sure the probe is out before Larry pulls away from the scales.
I think I'll leave that story to Larry...
 And away we go!!
 David hops in the combine with Randy after delivering the wheat.
 I hop in the tractor with my son and watch as he 'unloads on the run'. 
As we wait for the combine bin to fill...he 'schools' me on the latest tractor gadgets.
Sun Roof...Really?

 Side mirror blinkers

 Sun shade...tractor could use a few more of those as far as I'm concerned!
 Controls have gotten much more sophisticated!
And the seat bounces!  There is also an official 'jump seat'!  
No more sitting on a jug or cooler!
 Not sure they make a tractor without a radio anymore!
 Most important control in the tractor for this rider...AiR ConDiTioNinG!!
 We've been called into action...
 They have to get seriously close to each other!  You have to pay attention to:
a. where the tire is in relation to the header
 b.  where you are in relation to the field
C.  where the combine auger is in relation to the grain cart.
Harvest makes my son ridiculously HaPpY!!
Tractors are nothing more than 'big' game joysticks!




   When you go to the field, you pack a 'snack' pack...Preston's on the left...mine on the right.  I call mine a survival kit!

 This is the life!!!

 John & Lauren bring 'Sonic' relief on this 104+heat index day!
Favorite comment of the day...from Kim as Randy & Preston got to the field...
"Now, it's officially harvest!"
 HaPpY FaThEr'S DaY!
 My girl & all our guys!!!!
 Brother & Sister...back in the saddle again!
Loved seeing Preston showing his Big Sister what he can do. 
 I would have loved to hear the conversations going on in there...
 I hopped in the combine with Randy and was taken back 
in time to when the 'Galle' family farmed.



 Bins full so we make a call out for the grain cart...




 Unloading on the run is so efficient...we can keep filling as we empty out.

 The rolling hills in Lindsborg are so beautiful.  
Lots to look at as I rode in the combine!
 We watched these clouds form into some serious thunderheads all afternoon.
Glad they stayed east of us!!
 They did make for some pretty backdrops though!
 Proud to be an American Farmer!

 Controls in the combine have gotten fancier too!

 MOST important control :)



 We saw so much wildlife...barn swallows, crows, chicken hawks...
Randy saw a bobcat!!
There were lots of coyote holes like this out in the fields.  
I sure hope that's a weed down in that hole and not ears of a coyote!
It was too bright to see that when I was taking the picture, but I did wonder what I would do if something ran out of one of the holes as I was taking these pictures!!
 Daddy's pregnant little girl going out for a ride with her Dad.
We like to train them early...LOL!!




 While riding with Randy, I asked him if he missed it...farming.  He misses the harvest, working in the fields, but not worrying about break downs, having to take vacation to harvest, wondering when to sell the wheat, if we will make any money...
we'll leave all that to Larry...and just come for the fun!

These fields, once they are harvested, will be worked and planted with sunflowers.  66 days after planting...the sunflowers will be up and yellow.  
No need to question where I will be on that 66th day!!

 For us, Harvest 2011, is done.  It was short-lived... one day. 
 

 But, it was one AMAZING day!!  We'll see you down the road.  Call us in fall when it's time to harvest corn & soy beans!!  
Thanks for making it a great Father's Day for Randy & son!!

4 comments:

  1. It was an amazing day indeed and JellyBean's first combine ride with grandpa randy and first cart ride with uncle preston :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that was pretty special! Report I got was that Jelly Bean was kicking up a storm! About as excited as you & Dad were Preston!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speedy wants to drive a combine!!!! Lol. And he wanted to know how the wheat comes out the tube thingy. Can you tell I'm not a farmer?!?! I'm sure there is a name for the tube thingy!!!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just need to come up this summer for harvest. Uncle Larry would be happy to give him a ride! And the tube thingy...an auger. :)

      Delete

I read & treasure each and every comment!
I'd love to hear from you!