I've had trouble with my name all my life...don't get me wrong...I love my name! It's just the fact that very few people spell my name correctly...even people that have known me for 30+ years! I get...Teri, Terry, Terri...never Terrie on the first shot. Even when I tell them the right spelling...a lot still spell it wrong. Not quite sure why my parents chose to spell it with an -ie...but, I like it...it's different. I have found others out there that spell it the way I do, but it's a small club.
My maiden name gave me troubles too...Goebel...pronounced gAble. I got called gObel all the time. My married name isn't much better...Galle...pronounced golly. Some say gAily, gall, gal-ey, gail very few say it correctly. Let me tell you...it's a quick way to tell if the caller is a telemarketer!
I don't know why it bothers me when my name is spelled wrong. It's not like it defines who I am...doesn't change my character, what I do or how I do it. I think that it is the way I identify myself. If it is spelled wrong...it's not 'me'. I don't personally relate to other spellings of my name. Does that make sense?
I'm used to it when people don't get it quite right. But, it is still important to me that it is right though. I have become involved in our church and will have my name in the bulletin more often for women's ministries, so I sent an e-mail to our sweet church secretary to have it corrected. I know people feel bad when they have gotten it wrong, so I hate to correct people. But I would want people to correct me if I have gotten their name wrong. She sent me an e-mail this morning telling me that she has gotten it corrected in one spot, but not another. I clearly understood and told her so...it was no big deal. I told her at least she didn't call me Judy. I also told her that maybe Judy will be my 'new' name in heaven and God is just letting me get used to it here on earth!
So, I guess if you can't remember...Just call me Judy, or Judi, or Judie...sigh....
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I had to laugh when I read your post because I have also been called Judy. You see I have a common last name, the same as Judy and she was a member at our church for many years. She has since moved out of the immediate area yet sometimes some of the older folk call me Judy. And if they don't do that, they ask if I'm related to her. Ha! (There must be something special about that specific name.) But I'll just call you Terrie! Blessings!
ReplyDelete