Welcome to my little corner of the World...

Join me as I try to find my way as an empty-nester, wife, mom, friend, and most importantly as a Child of God.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The (hand) written word...

I was reading one of my favorite blogs this week...(in)courage.  The nester had this great post!  It just so happened that I actually got a letter...a real, live letter in the mail this week!  It was from one of the 1st grade girls from the class I volunteered in last year.  (did you read this post about the hand written Thank You notes they made me?)  I was so excited to see something hand written in my mail box!!

The hand written cards and letters are becoming a thing of the past with all the texting, e-mailing and facebooking going on these days.  Makes me a little sad...  I treasure the notes, letters and cards that I've received.  I think that I probably still have most of them stashed in my boxes to scrapbook.  The last two times that we've moved...I've tried to pare then down...but, I come across a note where the person has passed away and I just treasure their words.  I also love seeing the handwriting from my Grandmother.  I'll never get another letter from her, but when I see her handwriting...I see her face.  When I read her words, I can feel her love.  I can't throw that away!!

I have a dear friend who is a wonderful encourager!  She puts us all to shame!  I used to be so good at letter writing and card sending.  I get frustrated with the price of cards and to be honest...I just don't take the time to sit down and write the notes I should.

I have a Compassion Child.  I'm embarrassed to say how few times I've written.  I need to pick a day of the month and write her each month.  Think that will work?  I will write her a note this week along with the 1st grader that wrote me this week!  Maybe I'll even make special cards...

Since my craft room has been completed, I have a special wall space for the encouraging notes, cards and letters that I have received.  It's so lovely to be working on a project and look up to see something that makes me smile!


 The letter I received this week is up on my wall already!  When was the last time you wrote a personal note to someone...hand written?  Maybe it's something you can should put on your summer 'to do' list!


1 comment:

  1. I blogged about this same thing a few weeks ago and had the same revelation about technology. I sort of have this ongoing love/hate relationship with it... handwritten words are SO precious, aren't they? I remember my grandma's letters sooo vividly and my mom's handwriting is an instant comfort. :) Love this so so much!!! And I wish we were neighbors too. I'd gladly share muffins or cookies with you! lol :)

    ReplyDelete

I read & treasure each and every comment!
I'd love to hear from you!