it made me think the other day of a Christmas 15 years ago.
I was struggling then too...but for a much different reason.
My step-mother was dying of cancer.
We almost lost her before Thanksgiving that year.
She had sent out invitations to all of us...
and miraculously she woke up from her coma the day before Thanksgiving.

We had a great celebration that year.
But, a week later, on a Saturday...
I was struggling.
Randy & I bickered off & on all day as we decorated for Christmas.
I was not in the mood...
I was exhausted and sad.
I did not want to decorate for Christmas.
It was NOT important...
Poor Randy got the brunt of my mood.
I apologized...time and again. :)
After I was done decorating...
I got a call from my Grandma who was with my Dad.
She asked if I'd talked to Dad that day...
I had earlier, but he neglected to tell me all the things that were going on.
I had just gotten out of the shower and rushed to finish getting cleaned up.
Ran outside to tell Randy I was heading into town and would call him soon.
It was a little after 4:15...
I got to Dad's before 5.
Thelma was struggling to breathe...
They couldn't manage the pain.
And just like that...
in the blink of an eye...
She left us...her pain and suffering were over and she was rejoicing in Heaven.
We learned of her cancer in January.
The doctor told me that she had 3 to 6 months to live.
'Probably more like 3' he said.
She showed them...she lived almost a year!!
I think she waited.
Waited for this special time of year.
She LOVED Christmas!
Just as much as I do!!
So, in honor of her memory...
Today, I will put on my elf shoes
and finish my decorating!
Thinking of her...
with every decoration I put out...
especially the ones she gave me.
Reliving all the memories we shared.
Shedding a few tears about the ones that we didn't.
The babies that missed out on her love....
and finger mohawks...
she had a special way of curling their hair with her fingers - giving them an instant mohawk.
The weddings and other celebrations of her grandchildren.
The quartet that sung at her funeral
surprised us all and sang Silent Night.
I can never listen to that song and not think of her.
It has become a very special song each year.
So, with that...I'm going to go and crank up my Christmas music
and decorate the day away!!
Merry Christmas Thelma...we still love you and miss you!






Terrie, what an awesome way to honor this special lady in your life. This time of year brings back memories of a very special lady in my life too. My mom died unexpectedly on
ReplyDelete01-01-01, and every year as the Christmas season comes, I have a lot of emotional days ! Lots of great memories too but it can be a hard time for many of us. Love you blog ! Merry Christmas !