Seriously, who doesn't love a parade?
Actually, one of my facebook friends found a few people who don't love a parade.
Sad, because they are kind of fun.
We drove into town and it looks just about normal for a street in the morning, right?
Look closely, do you see the road closed sign?
When they say 'road closed' they mean for cars...
Because this is what you will find on the road...all the way up & down Main St.!
Think I want some cool designs in my hair!!
This is how you get ready for a parade...
You either watch the crowds or you play your video games...
Or, you get pushed around in a grocery cart.
I love people watching before the parade.
It was so much warmer this year than last year so there were lots of people to watch.
These were my Dad's neighbors & their Grandma. Cute kiddos!
This is what it looked like down the street...
the town pretty much shuts down for the All Schools Day Parade.
And lots of business in the surrounding communities.
Because...they are all here!
And it doesn't just bring people out to the streets...
the people often bring their pups!
When you are 8 & 12...you can eat a funnel cake before the parade starts...
I think I put on 3 pounds just looking at it!
Do you see what is coming?
In the air?
We almost always start our parade with a flyover of some sort.
It used to be really cool LOUD planes...
the kind that would shake a building.
Rumor has it, that is why they quit...
so they wouldn't shake the Opera House down.
I think this robotic dog was trying to move people off the street so the parade could begin...this kid just wanted to play with him.
I always like seeing the crowd stand at attention to honor our country's flag.
It's really an official start when you see the police cars...
Do your parades start like this?
Because of our veterans...
we can have the freedom to celebrate like this.
The hometown band always kicks it off!
I <3 the bands!!!
I wanted to stop this guy...and all the rest of the politicians...and get their phone numbers...so I can call them at dinner...please stop calling me.
There is my friend's mom...her husband is a county commissioner.
I wonder how many pictures I have of her in the parade after all these years?
The town mayor...he was really having fun with it.
Not taking himself too seriously.
He probably needed the release, it's usually pretty serious being the mayor of a town.
Can you tell it's an election year??
Lonnngggggg line of politicians...
This would be a time consuming job...
I hope they got to enjoy the day & all the festivities!
Thanks for all your hard work!
These guys...were just nuts.
We were thankful that a brick didn't come loose making them off-balance
and sending them plummeting to the sidewalk.
Kids...don't try this at home...
Duck, Smokey!!
Do you have a trolley in your parade?
I love children's theatre!
I bet this will be an amazing performance!
Just for fun, I used my 'fisheye lens' for a few pics.
I kind of liked the way they turned out.
You get more of the full effect of the crowds and the parade.
Just checking out the back row...
And if your school is small enough...
I can get your whole band in the picture at once.
Each school in the county has a King, Queen and Junior attendants.
They make a float with their interpretation of the parade theme for that year.
Our alma mater's marching band!!
I don't recognize hardly any of the kids anymore.
I loved the dress color this year!
Love me some pink!!
This school always has a sharply dressed band...
and they don't just march down the street in rows...
they have style.
Do your floats get pulled by tractors?
Or is that only in Kansas?
This clown is why I don't like clowns.
creeps me out...
We even had Dorothy, Toto & the Tin man...
they marched up one side and down the other.
This school had an awesome float!!
Isn't it cute??
I thought the floats were kicked up a notch this year!
Just look at that tail!
I really like the bagpipes!
Here is a little sampling of the bag pipes!
And there was no strong winds...
so we couldn't see what they be wearin' under their kilts.
(spoken with a heavy scottish brogue)
Another cute float!
This float...coming up...really Cool, Neat, Keen, man!
How cute is this??
I used to twirl a baton.
I still have it downstairs in the basement.
I was never brave enough to do it in front of a crowd though...
in spandex no less! You go girls!!!
I don't know what it was with this guy,
but he totally annoyed me!
Kept moving all around in front of people at the parade.
Dude...the parade will come to you...you don't have to keep moving around...
blocking other people's shots!
While I'm on my soap box...
what is it with people walking in front of the crowd during the parade??
Each year it happens more and more!
And people crossing the street durning the parade...
What if you are walking in front of someone who is trying to take a
picture of their loved one in the parade?
And instead, they get you...
It may have been the one chance that they got to take the shot!
I'll get off my soap box now...thank you.
My nephew was on the other side of this float!
We have several schools from outside the county
that bring their bands to march in the parade.
that bring their bands to march in the parade.
Maybe some year, I should just take pictures of all the marching feet...
I don't know these boys...but don't they look cool!
I love seeing and hearing all of the 'Dare' kids!
Detective Doug!!
My kids still call out his name when they see him.
I hope these kids can all stay away from drugs & alcohol.
Sadly, I know it won't happen...
some will be affected by them.
We had a bit of a lull in the parade.
All the chairs filled up!
People were stacked up 5 or 6 rows deep all the way up & down the street!
We even had a band from our new home town!
I think this kid gets the cutest conductor award...
I always feel bad for the kids toting a Tuba the whole length of the parade.
Drums & trumpets are my favorites!
Argh matey!
Could it be?!
Did Johnny Depp really come to our little home town parade?
Nope...walk the plank matey!
All kinds of kids get to showcase their many talents in the parade!
There's my nephew!
This group of dancers were handing out cards.
They gave one to my dad...
I don't think I've ever seen my dad dance.
So, I laughed pretty hard...they handed me one too!
My brother cracked an 'old' joke...haha!
5 guesses on what The Brady Bunch was promoting...
and they weren't singing!
There wasn't even any music!
I could have guessed 500 times and never got it right!
More cloggers! I love watching and listening to their feet!
Mr. Begnoche!!! My kids both had him as a band instructor.
They really enjoyed him!
I don't know these girls either, but aren't they cute!
And I always like when kids see someone they know in the crowd!
There is that clown again!
Although this time, he was a little funny.
One of the politicians crossed the road in the middle of the parade...
"Isn't that just like a politician!" he said.
It got a laugh out of the crowd.
This band is another one that is always good.
They have a style & flair all their own.
We also celebrate championship teams...middle school, high school & college.
These guys were having a lot of fun!
Check out these guys...
Do you see the sign?
They really did sound pretty good!
This part of the parade has never been my favorite...
...something about grown men dressing as clowns always creeped me out.
I think they do a lot to help kids though!
What?!
Two bagpipe bands in one parade!!
Lucky Me!!
Actually, there were 3 bagpipe bands.
And each one kept getting smaller and smaller.
Wonder if it was the same guys and they lost some after each round? LOL!!
This kid knows how to travel through a parade!
Just sit back and relax young man!
???
Of course, State Tennis champs!
Wonder how much he got paid to do this??
Fuzzy. Pink. Boots.
Aren't they adorable?
Car is pretty sweet too!
There was a whole bunch of Cushman scooters...
My nephews made sure to point this one out to me!
Look! Even the truck is smiling!
What?? No one could quite figure out why this was in the parade...
Pretty car...
Bringing up the rear...
lots of beautiful horses!!
Poor horse...it had to stand there for awhile.
Friend of my step-mom's...
There is one in every crowd...
The friend's mother...
These little guys closed out the parade...
and their cute little riders!
And just like that...
the crowd dispersed and cleared the streets.
Heading to the carnival, activities in the park or to picnics with family & friends.
Leaving this lonely funnel cake...
That's all folks!
See you next year!




















Great pictures! I've never heard of an "All Schools Parade." And funnel cake is one of my love languages.
ReplyDelete