So we got invited to help out at a shrimp boil for the Buhler High School football team that was being done by some friends at our church. And by We, I mean, my husband who helped with some of the cooking. It was supposed to be last Sunday, but it got rained out. It was going to be a no women allowed event, but yesterday my friend said come with Randy...there will be a few of us women folk there. So I jumped at the opportunity to take pictures of our 1st real live Shrimp Boil.
And, really, who could pass up a chance to be outside on a gorgeous October Sunday?!
I know, it's beautiful isn't it? Makes me want to live on the farm again and build a pond!
This was our first shrimp boil and I was super excited to see the process...
and of course, to try a little shrimp!
The guys were busy starting the fire......cooking the shrimp (which BTW...how much shrimp does one cook for a football team?)
Shrimp anyone?? Yes, please!!
No need to add potatoes, onions or sausage as far as I'm concerned!
Look at the innocent one in the middle...
doesn't look like he just threw a rotten potato at his wife does it?
You can't forget the tabasco!!
Would you like a little garlic salt with that?Serving bowl...no need. It's just poured directly onto the table.
Back-up plan...in case there isn't enough shrimp.
It was a beautiful fall day!! And peaceful....that is until the guys started to show up. First it was the sound of their cars and trucks...then it was the sounds of guys...being guys. Moving logs, rowing boats, taking out the paddle boat, falling in the water - well, only one did that...giving each other a hard time, talking about football, about stuff.
2nd staple for football guys...Doritos!
Yes, I do believe that some tabasco was used... :)
Are you hungry yet?
Paddle boat is going in!
Watching the action on the water...and waiting for someone to get wet.
Our lovely hostess on the left...Vicki
Our gracious host & cook in red...Jack.
Jack with Pastor Bones Nay
Adding the german sausage...
Had to call in the defensive line to hold the dinner on the table!
Amen! Let's EAT!
What do you do when a hungry football team is going through the line? Get out of the way!
I love watching guys enjoy a good meal...
After dinner, it was back to the water.
We kept waiting for one of these guys to fall in...didn't happen.
This guy actually found the one lone shrimp left on the table!
I was reminded that I was surrounded by manly football men!
Moving a log to use as a bench...
Yep here is the one that got wet. He got warm by the fire...
I heard a lot of well-mannered boys...thanking the hosts. I don't know most of these boys...only a few from church. It was a great group of kids...if you are one of their mothers, you should be very proud.
One of our pastors, who has been involved with athletics his whole life,
was asked to give them an inspirational talk.
Hearing a group of football guys yell Hoo-Rah...goosebumps! Love a good team yell!
Only time the
The leftovers...not a shrimp in sight!
Smores! Well, at least some well-done marshmallows!!
We had a great relaxing day! Thanks for opening up your pasture and inviting some non-Buhler grads to join you! We had a wonderful time - the food & fellowship were awesome!!
I. LOVE. Fall Evenings!!
I wish it were Sunday again...
This is awesome!!! Absolutely love the pictures and the comments. :) Steve had a blast. He loves his football team family! :)
ReplyDeleteLove your pictures! So beautiful and clear! It looked like a great day for everyone, well except for the wet, cold looking guy. Actually he looked happy too. Thanks for sharing your Sunday!
ReplyDelete