So, if you've been following my blog...
you know that the past two months have had me in lock-down.
I've been in bed or in a chair saddled with pain
that even Lortab couldn't touch.
I've been down in the dumps...
The past few days...
I've been virtually
PAIN-FREE!!
Woot-woot!!
So, I left the house...and actually went to the dumps!
HaHa!! Hubby, son & I headed to the farm to clean out the shed.
Before we did that,
we made a stop at the Moundridge Historical Association.
My Dad has been volunteering there and had re-done something that was a huge part of my past.
**Warning: To make up for my lack of posts lately...this is gonna be a long one!!**
He & my step-mom, Thelma, owned the 'Drug Store'...
aka: Goebel's Gifts & Sundries.
(Formerly known as Orth's for those Moundrige History buffs out there!
Although, I'm sure you could tell me a lot more about it than I could you!)
Dad didn't have the right key to get into where the light controls were,
so I will have to go back when I can get some better pics.
These will have to do for now.
When I was younger and would visit my Dad in the summers...
one of the highlights was to walk uptown to the Post Office, get the mail
and stop at Orth's for a REAL Cherry Limeade & a Snickers candy bar.
(Am I remembering right that they were frozen??)
So, it was kind of exciting when they bought 'The Store'.
Well, it was exciting until we had to help with inventory, dust the shelves,
mark merchandise and work when we'd rather be doing other things.
Didn't they have child labor laws back then???
Seriously...most of the time...I loved working there!
I got to know almost everyone in town...
Now, when I go back...
I don't feel like I know anyone.
This is the original Soda Fountain Counter that was in the drugstore.
It has been my Dad's project.
He restored it to almost like-new condition!
These are the actual glasses...
and this is the sign...
with all the choices & prices that were available at the time
they donated the counter to the Historical Society.
Moundridge had it's 100th b-day in 1987...
My step-Mom had this dress made to wear for that day's celebration.
I recognized it as soon as I saw it.
Dad can't find his pics of her in the dress that day....sad.
I don't know if I have any or not, but I will sure look.
I recognized it as soon as I saw it.
Dad can't find his pics of her in the dress that day....sad.
I don't know if I have any or not, but I will sure look.
Read more about it here:
Don't you want to run out and buy a pair of these shoes???
I can't tell you how much seeing this counter and these items took me back!
These containers used to be filled with flavorings...
Root Beer, Cherry, Vanilla, etc...
Can't tell you how many Vanilla Cokes/Pepsi's I used to make.
The ones that about made me gag...
Vanilla Dr. Pepper or Chocolate Dr. Pepper...
ewwww!!
The ones that about made me gag...
Vanilla Dr. Pepper or Chocolate Dr. Pepper...
ewwww!!
And these...sugars, cream, & I don't really remember what else.
I wanted to get back behind the counter so bad and just open the doors
and freezers...just to see inside again.
But, unfortunately...it has to be all up against the wall...
never to have anyone behind it in the near future.
And it's a BEAST to move!!
Just ask my husband...
he helped my dad move it from the South wall to the West wall
in the fall of '83.
Isn't it funny how just seeing something will transport you decades???
Real carbonation came out of these...
talk about an Old Fashioned Soda!!!
I really wanted to either grab a stool and have someone make me a real cherry limeade
or get behind the counter and serve someone whatever they ordered!!
After we were done looking at the soda fountain...
we browsed some of the other items...
any guesses on this contraption?
Or these???
Well, if you guessed a hair dryer and perm/wave stations...
Ding, ding, ding!! We have a winner!!
Personally...I was leaning towards a torture chamber!!
Seriously??!! Anyone want to volunteer for a perm?
This is the basketball hoop from the Farms School that used to be about
a hop, skip & a jump from the 'Galle' farm where we lived.
(So any stories that Grandpa Nelson, Aunt Edie, June or Dorothy tell you
about walking 3 miles to school, uphill in the snow, kids...don't believe them!!)
This hoop resided in our shed at the farm until we donated it several years ago.
My dad told us that this used to be what 'downtown' Moundridge
used to be like every Saturday night!!
Moundridge-ites...can you believe that??!!
If you've been a part of the Galle family for any length of time...
you've probably heard the story about the
bachelor who adopted two orphaned girls in the 1900's or so.
Ever since I heard this endearing story about Chancy Fisk...
I always secretly hoped we would have twin girls.
I wanted to name them Chelsea & Chancy (pronounced Chauncy).
Fun little, probably unknown tidbit about me!!
We used to farm the 'triangle' where Chancy's house used to be located.
Being the farm family that we are were...
(or does it always stay a part of you, hmmmm I think it does!)
my boys had to head to the agriculture museum.
This is the future Blacksmith's shop...
I think a good strong Kansas wind may take this shed down soon.
I love old buildings like this!
The boys left me in the dust...
I was too busy taking pics of the buildings and thresher, like this one, outside.
When we moved to the farm, there was an old threshing machine like this on the farm.
Randy figured out that the first picture of the wheat...
was taken by the photographer that took Preston's senior pics.
Preston would have been in the picture to the right.
It was pretty funny!
An old table saw...
so glad my hubba has the much safer version!!
Randy's family & extended family have donated many items in this building.
I remember seeing this truck around town.
This cute little can came from our farm.
Good luck reading this...
here is a close-up on what came from the Galle farm.
Several pieces on these wagons came from the Galle farm.
Preston & Randy said that Dorothy would love this!
I said that Randy's aunts could probably tell you which items were used on a certain horse!
They have some seriously good 'history' brains!!
I can almost tell you where some of these things were in our shed all those years!
This tells about the next few pics of items that were also donated by the Galle's...
I just had to take a pic of this water hydrant.
We had one in the backyard at the farm...
only ours wasn't straight.
Anyone know why?
And it always leaked!
But, did it ever have the coldest water ever!!
If you are from the Moundridge area...or have family ties there...
You really need to stop by the Moundridge Historical Society.
Maybe our next Galle reunion should include a field trip???
Tomorrow...
more looking back.
This time from our farm where we lived for 17 years!!













Terrie, love the post! I'm glad you're feeling better and have to admit I like the soda fountain pictures more than farming....guess I am more of soda girl than farmer. Ha! Seriously, thanks for sharing all the history. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteAh, Terrie, so many, many memories came to mind when I looked at your pictures of the soda fountain! I remember wanting a vanilla coke so bad, but being scared to go in, because Junior Orth would be working, and to me, he was scary! Sometimes the want got so bad that I'd swallow my fear and go in anyway....he was never mean or scary....and he made one heck of a vanilla coke! Thanks so much for sharing these pictures!
ReplyDelete