I went to get groceries the other day, NOT a favorite thing to do! I had an extremely chipper checkout boy! He called me 'Miss'....NOT Ma'am! Kind of liked that! He was really enthusiastic!! Asking me all kinds of questions...I wasn't in the best of moods. I've been a little crabby lately...missing my friends! This whole moving to a new town when you are 48 sucks! Yes, I typed the 's' word...and it's there for eternity...yup...told you I was cranky!
Back to Mr. Enthusiastic...really too happy for a grocery store! His boss was there...I'm thinking he was new. All kinds of questions...'Do you like the tangelos?'...Um, yes. (Duh, that is why I buy them) Are they always this cheap?' I don't know. (I have to confess...a lot of times, I buy what looks good to me without always looking at the price. I know...that's bad, my husband hates that! I really do check prices, I just don't remember what they were the last time I bought them.) They were debating if he should call people ma'am or miss. So, he said 'Let's ask her what she prefers.' I said I kind of liked 'Miss'...I was feeling a little younger! Guess some customer complained because he called her ma'am. REALLY? You have nothing better to do than complain about what a checker calls you? WoW! I said, 'What really matters is that I'm greeted with a smile'. He thanked me for backing him up after his boss left.
When I got home and was unpacking my groceries, it hit me...I HAD a PERFECT opportunity to tell them what I really thought and I blew it! What I wish I would have said was:
*What matters is the customer is treated with respect.
*That when they ask if I found everything....they really listen and try to help if I didn't! (They could at least
ACT like they care and it's not just a question that they are required to ask!)
*What matters is that they don't squash my bread, put veggies and fruit with my meats, that they don't put
my bananas on the bottom of the bag with cans on top!
*What matters is that the employees don't smoke by the doors where we, the customers, walk in! How
about out back? Where there are NO customers who hate smoke!
(I hope I warned you enough earlier that I was in a grumpy mood!)
I'm sure there are more suggestions I could have given to this rookie checker...what are some of the suggestions that you would have given him...AND his Boss? Give me some more ammo...so the next time I have an opportunity I can go in fully armed!
Here's to a happier Friday!
This was GREAT. I wish I was an empty nester, but my son still lives with us. I'm looking forward to perusing your blog. I think we may have similar taste. I hope you stop by mine some time. :)
ReplyDeleteHey Terrie-I found your blog from "Whatever" and love it. It sounds like we're at the same stage of life too! As for the grocery store, how about asking them to not chew gum and make their arrangements for weekend parties while packing your food?! And I'm 100% with you on the bananas, bread and cans on top of it. And I want paper! Paper bags are renewable, don't let items roll under my seats, and don't break half as often as plastic! I live in the country, and as such, have no specific allegiance to any nearby town. But there is one that I will only go to for groceries because they give me the service I deserve! Wow--I consider your post a PSA! You go girl!
ReplyDelete