Welcome to my little corner of the World...

Join me as I try to find my way as an empty-nester, wife, mom, friend, and most importantly as a Child of God.

Friday, April 7, 2017

A Legacy of Love...

A Legacy of Love...
A little over a year ago, while watching the Final Four ball games, 
Randy's cousin, Kim and I were looking through the listings of the quilts for the 
2016 MCC Sale Quilt Auction...selecting our favorites.  
Me:  'Wouldn't it be cool to make a quilt and donate it in 
memory of Grandpa Dale & Grandma Bertha.'
Kim:  (with a look of Really?  Do you mean it?)  YES, Let's do it!
Me:  And we can include any family members who want to work on it.
Kim:  Done!! 
(or something like that...)
 So, in June, when Randy's Aunt Dorothy was here from California...we got started.
 Kim & I had selected the pattern and fabric.
 Pieces were pre-cut before the Aunts arrived,
so we could get started on the layout and sewing.
 We wanted to get as much done as possible while Dorothy was here.
 Once the layout was approved, the sewing began...
(Aunt Edie sewing away!)
 Aunt Dorothy, pressing the seams...
and pressing...
Marilyn kept busy pinning...
Making quick progress!
Randy's Grandparents, Dale & Bertha Galle, 
were very involved in the MCC Sale.
Grandpa Dale was the president for years...
And Grandma Bertha was right there beside him!
 They were great influencers (I think I just made that word up?)
on their grandchildren, grand in-laws and great grandchildren.
 They taught to work hard...
(Grandson Mark even got in on the action!)
(My quilt partner-in-crime...Kim, taking her turn at the machine.)
Dale & Bertha had 4 children...
Nelson, Dorothy, Edie & June.
 From there, their family only grew...
4 in-laws (or out laws as some of us were called by Dale),
10 grandchildren and 8 great-grandchildren (before they passed away).
 That is a lot of lives that have been impacted.
 Grandson Randy...taking his turn!
Grandma Bertha would be proud!!
 Dale & Bertha were regular church attenders...
...and for some reason, if we weren't in church..
we got a call from Bertha...
'Is everyone there ok?  We didn't see you in church this morning.'
;)
They passed on their love for God,
the importance of Family,
serving others and giving of themselves beyond what is necessary.
 Grandma Bertha spent hours working on quilts with the
 Mission Workers from West Zion Mennonite Church in Moundridge.
 Of course, they hand quilted...
Sorry, Grandma...it's just not in the cards for me.
I machine piece and quilt.
I usually quilt it myself, 
but since we wanted something extra special for this one,
I sent the quilt off to my cousin-in-love.
Her company name is The Feathered Quilter. 
She uses a non-computer guided longarm made by Kenquilt. 
It has all cotton thread for both top and bobbin. 
She goes by Cindy Goebel Mowrey.
She did a fabulous job!  I loved it!
I got the binding on...
I'm so proud of our family for the work they did to put this quilt together.
 It started out as this idea of donating a quilt,
but became much more that...at least for me.
 It's a way for us to remember Dale & Bertha...
Just like this quilt is made up of many different patterns and colors...
So is our family...
different personalities, likes, dislikes, opinions...
yet, when we come together...
it's beautiful.
The stitches are like Dale & Bertha binding us all together.
Everything that they taught us all... 
 It's pure joy to give back...
to remember...
to serve...
 in memory of Dale & Bertha.
 I'm excited...and a little bit nervous!
 To see our quilt be auctioned on Saturday....
 ...immediate feedback on whether people like or dislike our quilt choice.
It's not even about that though, really.
But, we want to do well...
to honor them.
Quilt front...

 Quilt back...
 One of my favorite quilts ever!
(I may say that after every completed quilt...)
I had such fun driving it to the KS MCC Sale headquarters in Newton.
(Of course, I did make a pit stop at Charlotte's Sew Natural.  
Hey, I have to make plans for next years' quilt!!)
The ladies working on organizing the quilts were so nice.

 Look at all these quilts!
Look, there is more room for your quilts on that chair!
Next year!!
 So many quilts!

 Meanwhile, this was going on in Randy's shop...
Kim:  Randy, it would be cool if you would make a lego toybox to donate.
Randy:  nods head...
 But, he came through in a big way!
 He made our grandson one of these a few years ago for his 1st birthday.
 So, it wasn't too hard to make another one...

 He did a great job!


 
Grandpa Dale & Grandma Bertha would be proud of their family.
For remembering them, but most of all for working on things together,
as a family...and giving back for others in the world who are not as fortunate.

So, this Saturday...as I sit at the quilt auction and general auction,
 surrounded by friends and family...
I will remember when they spent hours doing the same thing.
Keeping track of what sold for what...
who bought which quilt...
and maybe...
just maybe we will all feel like they are sitting there right beside us.
Well done Good and Faithful servants...
You trained and loved your family well. 
You are missed...yet remembered!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read & treasure each and every comment!
I'd love to hear from you!