Welcome to my little corner of the World...

Join me as I try to find my way as an empty-nester, wife, mom, friend, and most importantly as a Child of God.

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Before the Miss becomes a Mrs...

My daughter & I gave a bridal shower for my niece.
We had a lot of fun making the invitations together.
 I had so much fun designing these in Photoshop!
Learned several new things while doing it...
Always a good thing!
(Right Martha?!)

We also got to do some fun searching on the internet for ideas!
She found the cutest idea for a door decoration.
I just had to make something similar.

 I was going to put my own twist on it of course...
and while I was at it...
why not decorate a few more 'H's for the shower decorations!
I was using up supplies that I had at home.
So, I started with a grayish base coat on all the letters. 
 After letting the base coat dry,
I used a sponge brush and roughly painted white over the gray base.
 Her wedding decorations center around a burlap theme,
so I just had to pull some of that in!
Hobby Lobby has some great burlap ribbon and flowers! 
 I also found these cute locks and keys at Hobby Lobby to add a little something.
They represented the love between the two that will be locked forever between them soon.
And what marriage doesn't need a 'key' of Believe!
 I would play around with the decorating of the letters 
and then send the pics to my daughter...
which one?  Flowers or no flowers?
 We settled on the flowers...
just added a little splash of color.
I decided at the spur of the moment when I was roaming the 
wood letter isle in Hobby Lobby, to get the little A & L.
Then, when I was rummaging through my paints...
I decided to paint them green.
I know...it seems a bit odd.
But, it's John Deere green...
because that is where they met...at work.
It's a great story!
 There was a lot of burlap in my house for several weeks!
Table runners, ribbon, flowers and banners!
I just couldn't pass up making a little burlap bunting for the shower decorations!
 It was super easy to sew and one of the sites I found had a great pattern 
that I could size to my liking.
F.Y.I. burlap is not my favorite material to work with.
It sheds and frays something fierce!!!
But, it's so darn cute!
 Stencil on a few letters...
 Sew them onto some jute...
 Add a few purple and burlap flowers for color...done!

  I think I need to make me one!
My hubba was so funny when I was making these.
I had them hanging on the wall in our basement when I was done.
He came down, took one look at them and said...
'What?  Did they run out of G's so you just got the next letter?'
Duh, her new last name will start with an 'H'!
I still got a funny look...men...sigh...

 We had a lot of fun getting together to celebrate with the future bride!
We played the 'purse' game to start things off...
 It was fun to watch the women dig into their purses to find the requested items...
 ...and these ladies were competitive!
Mom of the bride...won this round!!
 Bride searching through her 'purse' stash to find a tractor picture!
Seeing that she works for John Deere...she'd better win this round!
She did!
 Game prize...
darling new apron!
Modeling for her sister, who was in Arizona doing an internship
and joined us via Skype.
Bless her heart...
it was hard to hear and kept cutting out, 
but it was so fun to have her be a part of the day!!
 We had asked each guest to write down their favorite memory of the bride-to-be.
We read them and then the ladies had to guess which memory went with which guest.
These ladies are deep in thought...
 One great Aunt was here from California...
it was so fun to see these sisters catch up on life!
 Of course, there was no shortage of food!
 And I had a lot of fun decorating with her reception idea!
Yeah...think I'll keep these vases like this for awhile at my own house!
:)


 I ordered some fabric bunting from meg!
(I also bought her cow print!)
Check out her shop here.

 Andes mint cookies, Ginger Lime Sugar Cookies, Peanut Surprise cookies
(aka:  Mild Dud cookies).
Just remembered that I had a few requests for these recipes...
I'll try to get on that soon ladies!
 Chocolate Sheet Cake (made by Grandma Marilyn),
Peanut Butter Cake (made by Aunt Terrie...ME!)
and Lemonade Cake (made by Lauren...my favorite!)
 I changed up the fruit a bit and made some fruit salsa!
It is my absolute favorite.
I could have eaten this whole bowl.
(I may have had the rest for breakfast, lunch and dinner the next day!)
 This was the 'kids' table...
It was so cute to see them sitting and chatting together!
We missed you M!!
 Then, it was time to open the gifts!
She got some really great fun things to add to her kitchen!
 I so enjoyed seeing these two girls ladies together!
I always wished that they lived closer together to be a larger part of each other's lives.
I pray that they will always remain close...
no matter where the miles take them!
 Showing her sister her big bowl!
I think we all wanted that one!
 Table runner made by Grandma Greene.
I just love gifts made from the heart!


 It was so great to see Janet again!
  Great group of ladies who have all had a part in a young woman's life.
 There is a wealth of knowledge and wisdom here
that at any given moment...if needed
each one would be willing to share.
Momma & the Bride-to-Be...
 Wonderful wood items made by a family member...


 Who doesn't love some tea towels?!
 These were extra special!
I believe that they were lovingly made by her Aunt Peg
who is no longer living.
What a treasure...and a daily reminder of a wonderful lady!
 This day wasn't about the invitations, decorations, food or even the gifts.
It was about getting together and celebrating a change in a young woman's life.
Sharing memories of the past, learning about her groom,
sharing recipes to grace her table of two, and
letting her know just how much we all Love and support her!
Many Prayers for a life filled with Faith, Hope & Love!
Love You A!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read & treasure each and every comment!
I'd love to hear from you!