A few weekends ago I went to the last wedding of this summer.
It was for the daughter of some dear family friends.
I didn't take too many photos.
I was too busy chatting with friends that we haven't seen in a
long time and sweating! It's been super HOT here in Kansas!!
She was absolutely beautiful...I had no doubts!
Her Grandparents supplied the get-away-car.
Super cute!
I got to help make her wedding invitations.
It was a lot of fun!
She made her reception decorations too.
Love them!
Yes, my hubby was trying to be silly!
Her cake was adorable too!
Our whole family was there,
so that meant we got some extra grandson time!!
You know the old addage...
'Something old, something new,
something borrowed, something blue...'?
Here is my something blue...
just look at his big blue eyes!!
He was super tired running on virtually no nap!
I'm not quite sure where this falls in the addage...
maybe something OLD, because it certainly isn't new!!
Possibly something borrowed!!
Especially once you hear the background story...
What is this you ask??!!
I'm sure that is what Justin & his parents were asking too!
Let's start at the beginning...
A long, long time ago,
Randy, Mike & several other guys went hunting.
They picked some things up for breakfast...
one of those being this bottle, YES,
I said THIS bottle of Sunny Delight...
I said THIS bottle of Sunny Delight...
which will from this point on be called 'Sunny D'.
After the hunting trip, there was just a bit of juice left in the bottle.
The bottle got put in our mailbox, then into the back of Mike's pickup, etc...
This back & forth business went on for awhile.
Then it went into hiding...only to emerge as a birthday, anniversary or Christmas gift.
The relationship between the four of us is a great dynamic!
But, we do like to see if we can 'out-do' each other in the area of creativity.
We should have documented each time it traveled back & forth.
Because I don't think any of us can remember
all the times it has gone back & forth.
And it's traveled!!
One year, Randy & I went to Florida for a convention.
Connie called my MIL and asked her for our hotel address.
'Oh, how nice of you to think of something like that.'
Well, you will never guess what was delivered to our hotel room.
What?! You Guessed??!!
Yup, this bottle!
You would think that would be the end of Sunny D's travels, right?
Well, not so much!
We did take a picture of Randy 'throwing it away' in the hotel trash can.
Yeah, right! It came home in our suitcase!!
WE were NOT going to leave it in Florida!
Obviously it was before 9/11.
Had it been after, it never would have been allowed on a plane without a hazmat suit!
I'm sure the mold growing in there is the best penicillin ever...
or maybe it could cure cancer!
Who knows what is growing in there!!
I'm sure the mold growing in there is the best penicillin ever...
or maybe it could cure cancer!
Who knows what is growing in there!!
The re-gifting went idle for a little while.
Only to take on a new look.
Connie made Randy or I a birthday cake.
It was 2 layers with a hole cut out...and filled with
Sunny D's baby! A 6oz. size bottle!
Randy & I finally found a great opportunity to pass on the original again.
I'm not sure that Mike & Connie really thought we got rid of it,
but it was time to bring back the original.
Mike's 'whole' family was going to Colorado for Christmas.
I called Bonnie and asked if she could take a present for us.
She so kindly said yes...thinking like my MIL 'how sweet'!
Only to her dismay on Christmas morning did she
realize that she hauled that stinky bottle
to Colorado & back!!
It went idle again until Randy (I think) got it for his 40th birthday.
We have had it stored in the shed at the farm for at least 9+ years.
When we were talking about Tiffany's gift...
well, it was obvious we had to find a way to incorporate Sunny D!!
We had grand plans of wrapping it all fancy, along with masks & gloves...
and some step-by-step instructions.
We forgot about it though until the day of the wedding...
Randy grabbed a KU gift bag
(KU??!! I know, right? It was the bag from their gift to Preston
for his graduation gift. Perfect!!)
went to the farm, retrieved Sunny D and we snuck
the bag into the reception and no one was the wiser.
Have you ever wanted to be a fly on the wall?
You know, so you could see & hear what happens?
We did! We knew that both families were getting together
on Sunday to watch the newlyweds open their gifts.
We chuckled to ourselves all week.
I bet Randy that we would get a phone call or a text...
(we ended up getting both!)
Well, just as we walked in Verizon to look at phones for me...
my phone started to ring. And the texting tag team began!
Randy & I started laughing!
Every time I got a text...we would start chuckling.
Half the time we were laughing just at the thought of seeing Mike laughing!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that it will be a gift they will all remember for a long time.
I think we got them pretty good.
Mike sent me a pic of Sunny D being burned...ending the long time fun.
We don't believe it...there was no pic of the bottle in the fire.
Either way...I'm sure this isn't the end of Sunny D's story!
You know, so you could see & hear what happens?
We did! We knew that both families were getting together
on Sunday to watch the newlyweds open their gifts.
We chuckled to ourselves all week.
I bet Randy that we would get a phone call or a text...
(we ended up getting both!)
Well, just as we walked in Verizon to look at phones for me...
my phone started to ring. And the texting tag team began!
Randy & I started laughing!
Every time I got a text...we would start chuckling.
Half the time we were laughing just at the thought of seeing Mike laughing!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that it will be a gift they will all remember for a long time.
I think we got them pretty good.
Mike sent me a pic of Sunny D being burned...ending the long time fun.
We don't believe it...there was no pic of the bottle in the fire.
Either way...I'm sure this isn't the end of Sunny D's story!
Like the card said...'Let the tradition continue...'
:)
Well, don't worry...
we did bless the newlyweds with a 'real' gift.
And all kidding aside...
We wish them both a long, Blessed & Happy life together!!
Have you ever passed a gift back & forth??
I'd love to hear your story!








How fun. We do something like that. Not a specific gift but we always try to "out penguin" Barry's brother & wife. Read about it here http://dearclayton.blogspot.com/search/label/Penguin
ReplyDeleteI forgot to say...this is the original penguin that started it. Throughout the year we try to sneak a penguin into the lives of each other. I don't think we'll ever grow tired of it.
DeleteThat is great! What fun!! I've heard of someone hiding a little toy at each other's house every time they visit. Sometimes it takes months for them to find it! :)
Delete