Welcome to my little corner of the World...

Join me as I try to find my way as an empty-nester, wife, mom, friend, and most importantly as a Child of God.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Verenika, Grandson & Tornados...OH MY!!

Last weekend was the MCC Sale.
It is something that we look forward to all year long.
MCC stands for Mennonite Central Committee.
Every year in April, 
people gather to stand in line
(usually for a very long time)
for some traditional German food.

Last year as we stood in line...
our daughter was pregnant with our grandbaby.
We talked about how next year...
we could be standing in line with a stroller.

This year...
we stood in line with a stroller!
His 1st MCC Sale!!
This has been a tradition for our family for years.
Randy's Grandpa and my Uncle have been in charge of the whole Sale in the past.
We have worked many hours at the Sale in many capacities.
Serving drinks, pie or calculating what people owed for their meals.
Now, we just come to purchase a meal and some New Year's Cookies!
Church groups start making food in January or February.
To serve thousands.
Everything is donated.  
All proceeds for your meal go to helping others.
Many in other countries.
We were missing one from this family.
He was working hard on people's taxes...unable to take a break.
We were only in line for 17 minutes this year...
that is probably the shortest wait we've ever had!
It's always fun going through the line.
We know so many people who are serving.
I forgot to take a picture of the yummy food!
The Verenika, Sausage, Zwiebach & Bohne Berrogi were deelicious!!
I had no room for the yummy homemade pie... :(
And...I left the pluma moos, cherry moos and borscht for others. :)

Our grandson is too little to enjoy these German foods of our heritage.
He had some super yummy rice cereal!  Thanks to Gerber!
When he was done eating and we took him out of his stroller...
he saw this 'tent' on the table and immediately started to laugh and talk 
with this little one in the picture!
Seemed like he had a connection to this child across the ocean.
It's why we stand in line to purchase this yummy food,
to help these sweet faces in orphanages.
Just a portion of the people enjoying the Feeding of the Multitude.
To serve as many people as possible in a short amount of time...
they have 4 serving lines.
The food is prepared in semi-trailers behind the building 
and shuttled in with lots of volunteers.
See all those yummy pies??!!
Once we finished with our meal,
we headed out to the rest of the fairgrounds.
Many of the buildings at the fairgrounds are filled with items donated by church members.
Tractors, cars or mowers that have been refurbished.
We still have an 'A' tractor at the farm.
We don't know what to do with it.
When we decide to get rid of it...
we may donate it to the MCC Sale.
The Sale is also a great place to run into friends.
Lauren got to chat with several friends and introduce them to her son.
We even got to introduce him to my Aunt...his great-great aunt for the first time!!
There are lots of hand crafted wood items too.
I love this marble game.
It reminds me of one that my dad made.
Loved these chairs!!
I hinted to the hubs that he could make some for us! ;)
All these items are auctioned off and the money goes to help others!
Then we moved on to the quilts!
My FAVORITE part of the sale!
Women & men of the supporting churches make these beautiful quilts 
and donate them to the Sale to be auctioned.
I know one quilt was sold for $8100!!
Isn't this one adorable??!!!
Rows & rows of quilts!
So much beautiful fabric.
So many ideas and inspirations!
Some day I may participate in the auction.
But, it's always so hard for me to think about that when I know I can make my own.
This was one of my favorites!
Lots of colorful angelfish!!
I didn't get to see all of them this year.
The young one was getting restless.
I love the 3-D yo-yo flowers on this one!
These are some storms that were flaring up in Oklahoma.
Spawning nasty tornados...
We had pushed the limit.
It was 8:15.
This guy is usually in bed by now.
He did great for his 1st MCC Sale!!
Randy & I got up at 5 the next morning to help our friends at the 5K Run.
All these people get big Kuddos from me!
Off to run at 8 in the morning!!
Lots and
lots
of early morning
runners and walkers.

It was really funny that I didn't see our old neighbor & family 
until they were on their way!
It was great to catch up with them when they were done.



The first one to return!!
This was the first woman!
Nice Job!!
We had to take the bottom portion off that had their name and info for the results.
I felt so bad making them stand still after running a 5K!
We tried to be quick!
And keep everyone in order...
Congrats to all the participants!
One guy raised over $3000 for his run!
Amazing!!
Again...each dollar goes to helping others!
Yup, there is our 'neighbor'!
She is full of personality!
I miss living down the lane from her.
We headed home as soon as we were done.
I was hoping the little guy would still be there.
He's not a good car rider, so as soon as he was ready for his morning nap,
he & his momma were heading out.
Luckily for us...he was still there.
So, I whipped up some breakfast burritos for us.
Then he got his first bath in Grandma's sink!
I LOVE this face!
Several 'friends' were at the ready to play!
There was a lot of splashing involved!
I think I'll have him over the next time I'm ready to mop!
He had so much fun with these bath toys!
Toys that his mother and uncle used to love to play with in the tub!
Our area was in a VERY high risk for tornados on Saturday.
Our daughter and grandson headed home to be with daddy.
The trees were swaying back & forth!
And back & forth!!
It felt like a tornado day...
It was the first time in a long, long time that we packed some things just in case.
In fact...we've never really packed a bag with some clothes in it before.
But, there have been too many big tornados.
A tornado may have taken these bags, 
but we at least gathered some of the most important things to us.
A quilt to cover our heads...shoes to avoid stepping on glass and nails.
I always take my Bible, camera, purse, extra checks and bills.
This time I packed a few extra things.
I was ready to jump in the car if one of our family members had been hit.
Kansas usually has 57 tornados in one season.
Saturday...we had 97!
Most of them described on tv were large, wedge tornados.
This one was headed for our daughter, son-in-law & grandson!
Lots of praying went on Saturday night!
I don't know how our state escaped with no deaths of people.
I thanked God for His protection for my family & friends.
Almost every tornado that I heard about that night,
was headed for family or friends in many different towns.
I stayed up late and waited for the storms to pass.
My dad was within a mile & a half for a large wedge tornado.
He heard it and saw it...
It came within a 1/4 mile of our friends who had been here the night before.
Tornados fascinate & scare me all at the same time!
My heart goes out to those who had damage to property or were injured.
When you are in a warned area...take cover!

It was a very eventful weekend!
What did you do on your weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read & treasure each and every comment!
I'd love to hear from you!