A Family that Runs Together...
Has fun together...
Plays together...
Stays together...
Meet Bo (in the racing stroller), his brother Greg and niece Rachael...
This is the 10 Mile mark where we chose to cheer them on.
Greg is pointing us out to Bo...
I was yelling at Bo to wake up...looked like he was napping. ;)
Bo had e-mailed us on Thursday night saying that he, Greg & Rachael would be
participating in the Bill Snyder Highway Half Marathon on Saturday.
He was hoping for good weather and strong legs.
participating in the Bill Snyder Highway Half Marathon on Saturday.
He was hoping for good weather and strong legs.
They have recently ran in two other races...but I don't think a half yet.
They lucked out and the rain stayed away...it was a BeAUtiFuL morning!!
...he spotted us! Mile 10 Cheerleaders!!
I miss seeing this face!
We've moved several times and aren't as close to him as we used to be.
Let me tell you a little about Bo...
He was born with Cerebral Palsy.
I've only known him since I was a Senior in High School.
My boyfriend, now husband...
yes we were High School Sweethearts, and Bo were great friends.
Their families had gone to church together and been family friends for a long time.
When Bo was born...a whole community gained a son.
They came alongside and helped with his patterning, etc.
I can't fill in all the stories...but I can imagine what all was done...
Because everyone claims Bo as 'theirs'.
It was hard at times for me to understand Bo when I first started
dating Randy when we would go out with Bo.
But, Bo...was soooo patient with me as he is with others.
If I knew/know the subject we are talking about, I usually did pretty good.
But, if he switched subjects on me, sometimes it took me a bit to catch on.
He would take the time to spell out the word I was stuck on...
Seriously...I always admired him for that...his patience,
when he could get so frustrated with me.
We love this guy and his family!
Our kids were about the same age as some of his nieces.
We have pictures of them in matching outfits that Bo got them one year.
Bo will always have a special place in our hearts and family...
We were honored that He was one of our groomsmen in our wedding.
He is very special...but not BECAUSE of his 'handicap'...
but BECAUSE of Who He IS in spite of his handicap.
He could be frustrated, complaining, sulking because of what he can't do...
But, what can't he do? He's been skiing, raced a few 5K's, raced a Half Marathon!!
Bo and his family, community will help Bo accomplish whatever He wants in Life!
And He and his whole family smiled the WHOLE Race!
Just as they do in Life.
Even though Bo was born with what many would call a 'handicap'...
I think that most of us that know and love Bo
would call it just a challenge that he has overcome.
To be honest...I don't even think of Bo as having a Handicap.
When we would be out with him at the movies or restaurant,
sometimes I would catch people staring,
and I would look around to see what they were staring at.
I realized that it was us. And that would take me by surprise quite often.
I forgot/forget that Bo is 'different'...because to me...
he is NO Different! He's one of my friends...
no different from any of my other friends.
Bo is the Biggest, Bestest, #1 Fan that the town &
schools of Moundridge have, His family has and
I'm sure he is K-State's #1 FAN!!
Honestly...he's the biggest fan that anyone can have!
Having Cerebral Palsy hasn't stopped Bo from living life!
As you can see, he is surrounded by a Family that will go to any lengths
to help Bo experience life to it's fullest!
And as they rounded the corner...
I was surprised at the emotion that I was overcome with...
I was reduced to tears.
This picture to me is priceless...
A Brother & Niece helping Bo to experience things
that would never be possible on his own.
that would never be possible on his own.
Mile 10 only one more 3K to Go!
And each step they took...
Got them one step closer to accomplishing another goal...
Another experience in life for the Family of Bo!
After they passed us at Mile 10, we headed to Bill Snyder Family Stadium,
to meet them at the finish line.
Trying to find them coming into the stadium was a bit like finding
Waldo in the 'Where's Waldo' books when the kids were little!
Trying to find them coming into the stadium was a bit like finding
Waldo in the 'Where's Waldo' books when the kids were little!
The Racing stroller made it a little easier.
Mom and Dad were anxiously awaiting the trio to get to the finish line.
It won't be long now...
Just one of the prizes at the end of the race...
accomplishing the race is the first prize!
Almost ready to round that final corner!!

They made it!!!
And did you notice? First...the smiles!
Second...They finished as a team!
Father and Daughter each with a hand on the stroller as they crossed the finish line.
That is how this family operates...as a Team.
When one is tired, the other took over and pushed.
And I'm sure...Bo was encouraging them both all along the way.
Because, that is what family does and all families should do!
Rachael putting on the hardware!
Brothers...the love and respect they have for each other...no words.
This is a face of pure Joy!!
And Rachael...just one of the wonderful nieces that have filled Bo's life with Joy!!
I don't think that they were even breathing hard!
Isn't that what it should be like in life...
that we each come alongside those who are doing something challenging?!
That none are left to do it alone...
Great Job Bo!!
We are proud of you!
And so is Coach!
This happened right when Bo came to the line to get his pic with the coach.
Coach
Bill Snyder is a Class Act!
For him to take the time he does with his
loyal fans. followers,
children, players, coaches, opposing team
players/coaches...there is just no other!
And we are so Blessed to have
him as our coach...not once, but Twice!
They just don't make them like
this anymore...
The smile on Coach's face says it all!
Genuine admiration...
And Bo is pretty excited that Coach took the time to talk with him.
Coach took the time to congratulate Greg and Rachael too...
then he stepped back in line to take pics with those in front of Bo.
So impressed that Coach takes time to take pics and
talk with those who come to participate.
talk with those who come to participate.
Thanks to His Family...who sacrifice a lot of their time
with him to allow him to encourage others.
with him to allow him to encourage others.
I love that Coach grabbed Bo's hand!
And I have to think about what those hands have done...
I'm impressed every time that I hear about another hand-written note/letter that
Coach Snyder has sent to encourage or congratulate
another Coach or player of an opposing team,
another Coach or player of an opposing team,
one of his players or former players, fans...He really is one of a kind.
It's a lost art what he does...
and we should all take notice, step up, get out our pens
and start writing and encouraging!
and we should all take notice, step up, get out our pens
and start writing and encouraging!
A close up of the Hardware!
No doubt that will have a special place in Bo's room!!
This is a face of a guy who LOVES life!
And is Living it to the Fullest!!
Great sign to encourage them along the way from one of their many supporters!
Sorry Bill, I had the wrong lens and couldn't get your face!
Bachman Fan Club...
Well, those that were in attendance on Saturday morning!
Their fan club could fill a good portion of the stadium!!
I LOVE this picture of my Husband and his Boyhood friend!
Pure, genuine, love, friendship and admiration for each other!
Fun-Loving Father/Daughter Team!!
He is! Bo is K-STATE PROUD!
Always!! #1 K-State fan to the End!
Last shot of a Power Team in front of the Power Cat!!

She NEVER stopped smiling!
I think she sweats glitter!
Oh, to be young again...even after 13.1 miles...she has energy to jump!
I pray that each and every one of you
embrace life with the same energy, joy and enthusiasm!!
Congrats to ALL the finishers of the 5K & Half Marathon!
You have my utmost admiration and respect!
Can't wait to hear about your next accomplishment BO!!
Way to Go Team Bachman!
Made my day to see your joy and watch a great finish!

































Your photos and stories have blessed me greatly today. Thank you, Terrie. Thank you very much.
ReplyDeleteThanks Dan! So glad that you enjoyed them!
DeleteWhat a lovely tribute to Bo and all the Bachman family. My daughter and son-in-law are good friends of the Bachmans and we have become as well. I am Ann Hoover's sister and have known Greg and Karen for years. We have recently moved to Manhattan and have gotten to know Marilyn and Nelson. They are wonderful people and we count them as our good friends who welcomed us to Manhattan with open arms. We attended the event that day cheering on some other friends who finished well after Bo, Greg and Rachael. Therefore, we did not see any of the Bachman fan club so we appreciate the pictures. Thanks so much for sharing the pictures and tribute. We will look forward to meeting you some day in the future. Sincerely, Sharon and Joel Kriss
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comments Sharon! So glad that you have gotten to know my in-laws! Maybe our paths will cross one day here in Manhattan! :)
Delete