Welcome to my little corner of the World...

Join me as I try to find my way as an empty-nester, wife, mom, friend, and most importantly as a Child of God.

Saturday, March 9, 2013

...and now, The Rest of the Story

Are you curious? 
Have you been wondering what became of the Box?
Here it is disassembled...
It makes me a little sad...
It's not nearly as cute.
But, I know the plans that my hubba has for this wood, 
so it takes a little of the pain away.
First step is planing away a few layers of dust & grime.
Smoothing out years of use...
Making it look like new again.
Disclaimer...I was out of town when the hubs started making the project.
So, I missed being able to take photos of a lot of the early stages in the process.
Here it is...can you tell what it's going to be?
Big hint...our grandson's 1st birthday was coming up...
Grandpa had been planning for a loonngggg time on making this for him.
It took him a while to find the right pattern for his idea.
Unfortunately, the wood from the Box was only able to be used on the bottom.
We think the wood may have been cottonwood.  
A little too soft to be used for this project.
So, the bottom is the only part of the project that has a little bit of history.
Have you made a guess?
Do you know what it's going to be?
Here, maybe this will help a little.
If you guessed a toy box...
You are right!
And a LEGO toy box at that!
Isn't it super cute!  Hubba did a wonderful job!!
I got to help hold the box while he cut it in two for the lid & bottom.
I was sweating bullets!
I was in awe of hubby's craftsmanship.
Just like when we go car shopping...
I got to pick the color.
Super bright, fun green it is!

Grandpa asked Grandma to put her Cricket to use...
don't have to ask me twice!!

Reminded me of helping my Dad when he owned a graphic design business.
We decided to keep the 'old' wood natural color.
Hated to paint it.  
Wanted to be able to see all of that history in it's natural beauty.

Thanks to my step-mom, who isn't with us anymore...
our projects usually get signed.
Perfect Birthday gift!
Just need to put on the final touches...
Safety hinge so the little guy doesn't get the lid dropped on him!
Project complete...



Well, almost....
Can't have a BirThDaY surprise without balloons!!
Hayden getting a sneak peek!
Surprise!
'Oh, WoW!'

He loved playing peek-a-boo with the family at the other end!
Oops... he also found out that hitting your head on the toy box hurts just a little.
Play in my toy box?
Yes, please!
He still likes to crawl in the toy box with his toys.
Lauren has seen him crawl in by himself...
she says that it isn't real graceful, but it's pretty cute!
Well, done Grandpa!
What are you gonna make next??

3 comments:

  1. awe that is an awesome memorable gift he will use for years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just sitting here thinking...
      about how maybe someday, he can use it for his children.
      And how cool that would be...
      I hope it lasts that long. :)

      Delete
  2. Love the Lego design! Such a wonderful gift and I'm glad you've written about it here. He'll be able to read and appreciate the history someday soon.

    ReplyDelete

I read & treasure each and every comment!
I'd love to hear from you!