Words...
We don't always think about them.
We sometimes just blurt them out without thinking...
No matter what our emotions may be at the time.
I would hope that most of the time we take the time to think
before we just let the words erupt from our lips.
That we take the time to be sure our words are uplifting,
encouraging, challenging, praising, blessing ...
You get the idea.
But, sometimes, when you are a parent...
and you are tired exhausted, overwhelmed, angry...
we sometimes mess up.
And words just flow out of our mouths.
We are imperfect beings...
I know that I failed my children and my hubba on more than one occasion.
I'm not happy about it, makes me sad.
But, I always tried to say I'm sorry and do better.
I remember reading that it takes like 20 some good comments
to undo a bad one. And can you really 'undo' something that was said?
This is a photo of our grandson taken last summer when he was visiting us.
Our new Dillons had just opened up and they have the cutest little carts.
He was visiting again this past week, but I have no picture...sadly!
We were only going to pick up a few things
and there were 2 of us to help maneuver the cart.
His momma and I gave him clear directions...
'Slow, yellow light'
'We're going to turn left'
'Watch out for people in the aisles'
'Look up'
'Follow Gramma'
He was a very good listener and did a great job!
I praised him, as did his momma, when I got in the car.
'Hayden, you did a Good Job Pushing that cart!
You listened and followed our directions very well!!
Thank You!'
Never was I reminded more of how words can impact a person...
The rest of his stay with me...
he could be heard saying...
Good. Job. Pushing. THAT. Cart.
He said it in the car on the way home.
While he was playing.
At the dinner table.
While he was laying in bed talking to himself as he was falling asleep.
The next day...and the next!
Even the morning after he got home...
His momma heard him talking in his sleep at 6 in the morning...
'Good Job...'
If that doesn't tell you how important your words are...
5 Words...of praise...had a huge impact.
They are rolling around in his head all the time.
What about the negative words that we put out there.
We all have those negative thoughts about something rolling around in our heads.
Let's put more thought into our words with everyone...
Be encouraging, uplifting, praising, blessing...
Because you never know how much they will impact someone...
no matter how little.
Good. Job. Pushing. THAT. Cart!!
Absolutely loved this! So true!!
ReplyDelete