Welcome to my little corner of the World...

Join me as I try to find my way as an empty-nester, wife, mom, friend, and most importantly as a Child of God.

Friday, February 22, 2013

Once Upon A Time...

Once Upon A Time...
This box held flour (and maybe sugar - not sure,
we'll have to get the family historians to fill us in)...
on the farm when Randy's Great-Grandparents lived there.
I think if I'm right, his great-grandma used it to store flour.
I'm not sure if she kept it in the kitchen.
And I'm not sure if his grandma ever used it to store flour.
I do know that she had two drawers designated for flour and sugar.
I'm going to start listing my questions for the family historians...
*Questions:  Where was this kept?  Inside the kitchen or outside?
                  Flour or flour/sugar?  Who used it?
This makes my flour container sitting on the counter look pretty puny!
 I do know that when we moved to the farm,
this was in the south 'chicken' house as it was called.
 I had only ever seen pigs and 'stuff' in it...never chickens.
Needless to say, it's pretty old...
It's been used to store pig feed, cat food, dog food and...
...more than it's share of spiders!!
Dead or alive...they always creep me out!!
We have always wanted to use this old box at one of our
homes ever since we moved off the farm.
But, it's a little big and my decor was never quite this rustic.
Have you ever seen square nails?  I love them!

I told ya...MORE than it's fair share of spiders!
(Okay, I promise...no more spider pics!)
:)
This poor box has seen better days.  Although, I LOVE it's rustic look.
And I love knowing that years ago...
someone in Randy's family probably made
it for his grandmother to use.
*More questions for the family...Who made it?  When was it made?
A little 'fisheye' view of the inside...
The need for so much flour and the way they built things then
makes me really glad I live in the era I do...
The hubba moved it here so that he could turn it into something new.
It makes me a little sad to see these boards, nails and screws
put together so many years ago...come apart.
I did wonder who built it and what were they like,
what tools did they use and other earth shattering
questions as the hubs was dis-assembling it.



Wow...a few layers of dust and grime had built up wouldn't ya say?
The last time someone saw that layer of wood was the guy who built it.



Wonder if the guy who drew this pencil line stuck the pencil
behind his ear like my Dad and hubba do?
I told ya...Earth Shattering questions going through my mind!
Wow...now that takes some talent I say!
You just don't get things made like this anymore!
There were more than a few stubborn nails.
Anyone want to store flour in this now?
Anyone?!?  LOL!!

It's a little hard, but can you see the years of dirt come up as he hits the board?
There was a little sadness here.  I really liked the look of this box.
I LOVED that it was something from the 'farm'.
Something used by his family for generations.
Although, I couldn't find the right place for it.
And I was really excited for Randy's special project!
It will be the perfect use!
If it's sqaure, is still called a nail hole?
He took this apart on a super hot day...and it wasn't easy.
I'm going to take a blog break for the day and go take some more snow pics!!
We only got 16 inches...gotta take them before it all melts!  HA!
Oh, you want to know what the special project is??
Gotta wait until the next post!
I promise...you won't have to wait as long as ya did for this one.
I'll try to be a regular blogger again!
I have so many pics and projects I want to share!
Until then...
Hugs & stay warm!!

2 comments:

  1. I've missed you and look forward to what the flour/sugar box transformation will be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Cindy. It's been hard to keep up lately. Even with reading blogs... I'm ready for a little more normal.

      Delete

I read & treasure each and every comment!
I'd love to hear from you!